Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Tuesday 14 June 2016

Seaside Winter Blanket CAL: In love with colour!

For as long as I can remember I have been in love with colour!

When my great granny taught me to crochet at age four, she and my nanna would give me all the scraps and leftovers from their projects.    I loved this!   Rather than having to decide on a set of colours, I had the pick of a complete jumble of colours!    This is probably why I still relish the challenge of turning a basket of scraps into something beautiful!

The  KALEIDOSCOPE BLANKET  was one of these projects!     Just reaching in to the basket and pulling out a handful of colours and making as many hexagons as I could before taking the next handful.     This is the best way to come up with new colour combinations - colours you never even thought of mixing before!

Just look at all those possibilities!!!!



The SEASIDE WINTER BLANKET is another one of those crazy colour opportunities.    Scraps and leftovers are the inevitable result of prolific crocheting, and I am sure many of you have a basketful of colourful bits and pieces.  Even if you do not want to go out and buy a set of colours, or dip into your stash you can still join in and put those scraps to colourful use!

I have been making MAGIC BLANKETS  to gift to the less fortunate and I have worked myself clean out of scraps and leftovers so I have had to dip into my stash for a few combinations.

Blanket 1 in Warm / Cool:   a mix of warm red and orange, and cool blue and greens, accented with neutral lemon white and beige:

crochet square

Blanket 2 in cool purples, blues and greens, accented with a light grey and denim blue:

crochet square

Blanket 3 in warm autumn shades of camel, ecru, banana and hibiscus and light grey against a white background

crochet square

Blanket 4 two shades each of pink and purple bordered by a pretty lilac named "Crocus"

crochet square

Colour placement is just as important as your colour choice.   The Umzumbe square looks completely different when the four colours used for Blanket 4 are arranged differently!

crochet square


By simply changing the placement of  a limited number of colours (2 and 4) - I have eight totally different squares!!


These colour experiments are always put to good use.   Wait until you have a nice collection of squares, sort them into a pleasing arrangement and make a happyghan!   Always great to have one or two lapghan size happyghans to hand when you want to give someone special a thoughtful and useful gift!  (The centre panel is a one of the new patterns I am busy working on)


Please share your Seaside Winter Blanket progress shots on Facebook in our SEASIDE WINTER BLANKET CAL GROUP.   Photos posted to the group will be included in the weekly Gallery!

Have fun experimenting with colours and remember........the second square "Scottburgh" will be posted on Friday, 17 June 2016!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely combinations! Thanks for taking the time and sharing these. I decided to dive into my stash and pull out all the scraps and leftover skeins from other projects. So that will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete